Decorated Notebook

Post by lyndaejane on Tue 5 Mar 2019 - 19:11

Materials:

Shop-bought notebook
Paper for cover
Paper for inside front and back cover
Toning scraps to decorate
Embellishments to decorate

The size of notebook will depend on the method used to make the cover. If you want to cover the notebook with one sheet, an A6 size notebook can be covered with A4 or 12 x 12 paper - any bigger and you will need to use A3 paper or cover the book in pieces of paper.

Some notebooks have linen mesh-type covers, others are shiny. Glue will work on the mesh notebooks, but you would need to sand a shiny surface to give key for glue, or use D/S tape.

I'll give the instructions for a single-sheet cover.

Open out the notebook and mark the paper to give a 1" margin all round. Cut the paper.

For D/S tape: adhere tape to the spine of the notebook, and over onto the front and back (1" wide tape is good for this, as it covers the spine with a few mm either side). Then tape the other three edges of both front and back covers and put another piece of tape diagonally across the centre, long-ways, to ensure good adhesion.

Remove the backing paper from the tape on the spine and place the notebook centrally on the paper - to assist placement, you can draw a central line on the inside of the paper, and check that you have both paper and notebook the right way up before you adhere. Then lift up the book and press and smooth the paper down, on either side of the spine. Now, doing one cover at a time, lift up a short piece of the backing paper at the ends of the top,bottom and diagonal tape nearest the spine and fold back. Do the same with one end of the backing paper on the tape at the leading edge of the cover. This will provide a start for adhering the paper whilst not risking it sticking down before you are ready.

Slowly press and smooth the paper over the cover, pulling back the backing paper of the tape as you go. Repeat for the other cover.

For glue: apply glue to the spine of the notebook and place centrally on the paper, as above.

Starting nearest to the spine on one cover, apply glue top to bottom and about 1" or so wide, so that you can work on a small area at a time. Press and smooth down the paper before applying the next line of glue, until the whole cover is adhered. Repeat for the other cover. Leave to dry.

For both tape and glue: open the notebook right out and grasp the pages, pulling them away from the spine, so that you can see the full extent of the inside width of the spine area. This will usually extend up to the boards inside each cover. Mark the paper to show where the extent of the spine area falls if you wish. Starting from the top of the paper and above one edge of the spine area, cut down to the spine. Repeat for the other edge of the spine area, then cut the resultant central piece of paper to about a half-inch long so that it will easily tuck down into the inside of the spine. Apply glue to the inside of this small piece of paper and push into the spine, using a tool to press it against the inside of the spine if the area is too small for your finger to fit. The handle of a glue-spreader is quite useful here. Repeat for the other end of the spine. If you cut the paper smaller than the full width of the inside spine, you will finish up with an area of the old cover still showing through, between the spine and the front/back cover, once you have adhered all the paper. Use a marker in a toning shade to colour the old cover if necessary.

Starting with the back cover (worth doing it first, as practice for the front), fold the top and bottom flaps of paper over the cover, to see how they sit. Close the book, then open again and see if the edges nearest the spine are creased: if so, trim the end at a slight angle, going toward nothing at the top of the cover (so that you don't expose any of the old cover).

When cutting the paper for the outside corners, you must leave a margin of paper to hide the very apex of the corners, so the cut you make must be a cover-thickness away from the actual corner. Cut a triangle off each of the corners, making sure to leave this amount of paper. Put a tiny dab of glue on the apex of the corner and 'work' the small margin of paper over the corner.

Apply either glue or a strip of D/S tape to the three flaps of paper, at the side closest to the edge of the cover, and adhere. Repeat for the front cover.

Cut two pieces of paper slightly smaller than the insides of the covers and adhere these using glue or D/S tape.

Sorry it's so long-winded: I'll be demo-ing as I go on Friday, so they'll see how it's done, but it's much harder to describe in words.

Lynda

Some days I amaze myself. Other days I put the laundry in the oven.
lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 11903
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Decorated Notebook

Post by WeirdCat on Tue 5 Mar 2019 - 20:32

Very thorough instructions

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/
WeirdCat
WeirdCat

Number of posts : 11083

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Wed 6 Mar 2019 - 7:42

fabulous Lynda, thank you so much, am goong to print it out and attempt one

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)
Maria
Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9773
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Wed 6 Mar 2019 - 8:56

Let me know if there are any errors or omissions, Maria - anything is possible, just at the moment!

Lynda

lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Wed 6 Mar 2019 - 11:00

will do Lynda and will show you a picture when i do it

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)
Maria
Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9773
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Wed 6 Mar 2019 - 12:42

Oh, good!

Lynda

lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: