Is it just me.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it just me.....

Post by lyndaejane on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 13:53

I watch - or at least glance at - quite a few of the crafting programmes on TV and it seems to me that everyone is getting into paints, stencils, texture paste and all that sort of stuff. I look at the things they've made and, apart from the the background, everything else seems to be things you could do much more easily with other craft items.

Painted/sprayed/whatever background - fine. Then they use stencils to colour a design (why would I need a stencil to do it, when I've probably got stamps which will produce the same effect?). Then they use texture paste through a stencil to produce a raised image - which you then have to wait to dry, plus cleaning up tool, stencil, hands etc: I could glue on a die-cut, or stamp, fussy-cut and glue on an image, or run the whole thing through the machine in an embossing folder. I suppose what I'm saying is, why would I buy all this extra stuff when I can get the same effect with all the stash I've already got - or is it just me? What do you all think?

Lynda

Why buy a card for 3.50 when you can make it yourself with 27 of craft supplies?
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 10444
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it just me.....

Post by Di Masters on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 14:27

I don't watch any of the craft things but I suspect they are trying to find something else to sell, I would imagine the diecut sales are slowing down (most folk know they can get them cheaper elsewhere too) so they need to try and start off another fad. Fairly limited in what they can do really.
Not something I would be tempted by.

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.
Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 13152

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 15:48

That's what I thought, Di: they like to make us part with some more money. I have to be really keen to do crafts where there's a load of cleaning up afterwards - I like to be crafting, not cleaning.

Lynda

Why buy a card for 3.50 when you can make it yourself with 27 of craft supplies?
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Mon 23 Jan 2017 - 7:32

Yes they're in the business of making money, so they're always looking for something else to sell.
I have a good few stencils and they give you a different effect to stamps, they're smaller , so storage is easier, and I like the messy bit with embossing pastes, I've used it on Lo's and cards, but not often. It's only as messy as stamping, just a rinse under the tap cleans it.

They're used a lot in art journals, so they would appeal to people who make them.

Could this be a new swap theme? Make it or fake it, pick a technique and use wha you've got...
Oh dear me and my imagination.

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 11103

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Mon 23 Jan 2017 - 9:43

Thank goodness you've still got your imagination, Karelyn - I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been overwhelmed by what's been happening in your life. I like the idea of that for a swap: might take a bit of thinking about, unless you and I could think up a few ways people could fake before we posted the swap.

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scatty on Mon 23 Jan 2017 - 20:44

They always use so much on their cards too, but yep they need our money.

Scatty
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6099

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Tue 24 Jan 2017 - 7:19

I haven't seen any of those shows for ages, when I did see them I found them irritating as they spent ages flirting with each ther and chatting, showing the product (fair one) and a millisecond showing what you could make, with a dodgy camera angle. Are they more inspirational now?

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 11103

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Tue 24 Jan 2017 - 8:35

The best one for demos was The Craft Channel, Karelyn, but they folded not long after they got onto TV (previously just online) - they used to do lots of demos. Hochanda much more professional now, and they seem to have hoovered up most of the good brands from Create & Craft. I always record shows and fast forward to the demos.

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Tue 24 Jan 2017 - 13:16

Every time I turn one on, which admittedly isn't often, all I see are darned dies! I do love stencils and stuff though 'cause of my art journaling, but you have a good point, Lynda.

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16200
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content