Getting rid

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Getting rid

Post by supergran on Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 15:34

Hi I am going to get rid of all my craft stash as I cant do it any more, find it to painful with hands, I am thinking of sorting it all out in goody bags but not sure what and how to do it, can anyone help me please with ideas, I do have an awful lot of paper and card, also a lot of embellishments, ribbons, and flowers, also can I sell part used things ie colouring pens, stickers, and embellishments.

Thank you in anticipation Billie xx

supergran
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6673
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting rid

Post by lyndaejane on Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 18:16

Sorry to hear that, Billie, although I've been wondering if you'd have to give up when you've been saying how painful your hadns have been. Don't forget you might be able to sell stuff to us, though: saves all the hassle!

Yes, you can sell used items (assuming you're thinking of eBay?). List the item(s) as used, and explain the amount of usage in the item description - "only used a few times", or "one or two stickers used from the sheet": make sure you describe the usage in these sorts of terms, to give the best impression.

The following are things I've observed when I've looked at things on eBay: don't know if they apply to everybody so don't take them as gospel.

Don't put a real mixture of things together, unless they're so fantastic that you're going to get people fighting for them. Often I've looked at 'craft clearout' lots on eBay and there's some things I would quite like plus a load I wouldn't want, such as peel-offs, which I don't use, punches which I might have already or not want that design, stamps ditto, etc. If that's the same for other people, then you won't get the money you should for the lot.

Don't put a large lot on which will incur high postage when you could have put two lots on, each with reasonable postage: this might put people off.

Flowers and pens do very well on eBay: could be worth putting them in smaller lots to get the best return. Ribbons could be put into larger lots together.

When you've put a lot together, put it in the packaging you will be using and take it down the Post Office. They should have one of those slot things on the counter for customers to put their packages through: do that and write on L for letter or LL for large letter etc, and the weight. Make sure you have the price guide leaflet: go home and check out the postage costs - and remember the new leaflet is laid out very badly so needs to be concentrated on. If some things are only fractionally oversize, think about making them into two lots if the contents will be poor value because of the postage cost.

Don't forget that PayPal will take 3.4% of the money people pay in postage, so don't list postage at cost - there's also the cost of any envelopes, brown paper or parcel tape to take into account, plus your petrol to go to the PO. I wouldn't suggest loading the postage cost too much, of course, but postage at cost is only worth doing if you're selling something worth a lot of money (we've done it a few times with Steve's hi-fi equipment).

Don't list anything at 50p: I've seen people listing stuff at 50p plus postage at cost of 50p. They will end up with 14p - you might as well take it to the charity shop! If you don't know what to charge, do a search on eBay and see what other people are selling it for: don't do yourself down and list stuff for less that it's worth. Decide on the minimum price you would be willing to sell for: nothing worse than putting it on for 99p, in the hopes you'll get two or more people bidding, only to find something worth 3 goes for the 99p. Best thing is to wait for a free listing day (every other weekend seems to be free listing) and put the smaller stuff on for at least a minimum of 1.20 or 1.25 - even then you don't get a huge amount left after all the fees.

Hope this helps.

Lynda

Young at heart (other parts slightly older)

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9594
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran on Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 20:34

Thank you very much Lynda that has been very enlightening, now got to get myself motivated.

supergran
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by WeirdCat on Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 21:44

Sorry to hear this Billie xx

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

WeirdCat

Number of posts : 9971

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 7:35

oh billie its such a shame but i think ive been expecting this as you have said your hands are so bad lately . hope this does not mean we will lose you from the forum though. good idea to see if any of us want your stuff before ebaying it

kimb

Number of posts : 13216

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran on Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 11:29

If anyone wants to come down with a medium sized van they can take it all away for about 200 - 300. LaughingLaughingLaughing

Oh won't be leaving for the moment.

And that includes some storage units.

supergran
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 12:03

Aw, yes, good advice from Lynda.
Can you try a local car boot?

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.

thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 10506

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 12:05

Gutted for you Billie. Loves ya

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Bags to Bling on Etsy
My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography

Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16016
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.lrdesigns.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Sat 24 Aug 2013 - 12:43

Sounds like a lot of stuff to sell at a car boot, Karelyn, and I understand people try to beat you down on price, too. Billie would have to have help from her family to run the stall. Although eBay is quite a bit of work, at least you can do most of it from the comfort of your own home; you can put it up for sale at the minimum price you'll accept; and you might get several people interested and get a bidding war.

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerjo on Mon 26 Aug 2013 - 22:44

What about pre-loved, at least people come to collect it. we have a buying selling site on facebook for Lincoln. There may be one for your area Billie. You post pics, set a price and people come pick the items up. People at work have sold loads this way.

gingerjo
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 3338
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran on Tue 27 Aug 2013 - 12:39

Never heard of Pre-loved Jo will have a look into that, we will probably sort out a selection of stuff and photograph it and put it on e-bay if we don't find something else, there is far to much to sell at a carboot or single/ batched on ebay.

supergran
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Tue 27 Aug 2013 - 13:50

Don't forget to put the 'photos up here in case any of us are interested in your stuff, Billie: less hassle (and more money for you than eBay) if we do.

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran on Wed 28 Aug 2013 - 15:24

I will but have decided to sell all together.

supergran
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 22:15

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: