Cherry Blossom

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cherry Blossom

Post by WeirdCat on Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 16:08

I have a cherry blossom in my front garden in a big pot. No idea why it was potted but there you go, anyway I thought I'd give it a chance to spread its wings in our back garden as the front garden isn't a garden as such, more the place where the steps down to the cellar once were before someone filled it in. When would be the right time to move it. It has blossom on now so I know to wait until that has gone but can I then move it to its new home or should I wait until it has dropped its leaves and replant it in Autumn?

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

WeirdCat

Number of posts : 9928
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Cherry Blossom

Post by lyndaejane on Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 16:45

Never had to move a tree, Ruth, but I think the perceived wisdom is that you do it in the dormant season. Am sure Patty will know.

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9404
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 16:56

Oh yes Ruth - don't be tempted to move it now or you could well lose it. Scrape off the top 3" or so of soil, give it some general purpose fertiliser and then some new compost on the top and a good watering.

Leave it until the autumn and try and replant it with the entire root ball (that's as you tip it out of the pot) and make sure the hole is deep and large enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 23:17

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum