Help wanted, please

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help wanted, please

Post by lyndaejane on Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 18:06

One of the projects I'm doing at the workshop for the local Crafters' Guild in June is a sort of card made from a single sheet of A4 paper folded and cut, which ends up with two pockets in it. You have a piece left, which you have cut off, and I'd like to make a tag from it so that the whole thing is made with just the one sheet. However, to make the tag stand out when it's in the pocket, I'd like to edge it with a darker colour.

My problem is that everyone up here seems to be stitchers and no-one knows much about papercrafting, so I wouldn't want to chance trying to show up to 20-25 people how to tap a stamp pad round the edge (combination of time taken, messed-up project and damaged stamp pads). Have tried to think of other things, like felt-tip pens (can also be difficult to master, and would need to buy a whole load of blue pens just for one evening) but have now run out of ideas. Can anyone think of anything, please? Oh - and please don't suggest a different project - the Chair selected this one!

Thanks.

Lynda

Young at heart (other parts slightly older)

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9598
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Help wanted, please

Post by Scrap Monkey on Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 18:15

If they are stitchers, they could stitch around the edge? (or teach them faux stitching with a gel pen).

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date  Laughing

Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 7328
Registration date : 2009-02-19

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/bearhousebeads

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 18:23

I'd thought of stitching, in another context, Tina - but it's the time constraint (this has to be a very quick project, as I only have about 1.75 hours to do the two and the other one will take longer). Faux stitching will also require numerous pens to be bought.

However, I think I just had an idea: they will be using a template to draw round for the tag: if I take in all the blue pens I have and they use those to draw (which will be quite quick, so they can share), I can get them to cut out the tag outside the line, leaving a nice darker blue edge. Will have a try with my blue pens and see if they all work OK with that methodology.

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters on Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 18:24

Would chalks work if rubbed around in a similar way to using distress inks? Use a bit of cotton wool or a cotton bud and at least it won't be messy and you can use one set of chalks between a few folk at a time.

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.

Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 12412

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 18:58

Thought of chalks, Di - but then I would have to buy several sets of them to get enough blue ones to go round.

It suddenly occurred to me that I can add "Blue felt-tip pen" to the list of requirements they should bring, as quite a few people will have such things (or their kids will!) even if they don't do papercrafts. The rest will have to share mine (should manage to rustle up half-a-dozen).

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 19:24

... or gel pen as some might bring in thick ones which wouldn't work.
Show us what they make, sounds like a good project, but I can't quite picture it.

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.

thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 10506

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 19:29

Am planning to put up a piccie as soon as I've finished the sample one to show them on Friday, Karelyn. It doesn't make a card that opens, but the two pockets are ideal for a tag with your message on and either money or a gift card in the other one - also perfect for men's cards, as it's quite unfancy. I wish I could remember where I saw it: I just had one made up from some scrap A4 with the instructions I'd written on it in my "to try" box.

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 20:38

what about a strip of very narrow double sided tape and some shimmery stuff sprinkled on , it ends up very neat . shan't say the G*****R word as folks dont like it

kimb

Number of posts : 13216

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran on Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 20:43

Hehehehe I'm sitting here with an A4 sheet of paper folding it to see where you get the pockets from and what you cut of to make the tag. Laughing Laughing Laughing

supergran
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6674
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 7 Mar 2012 - 8:30

supergran wrote:Hehehehe I'm sitting here with an A4 sheet of paper folding it to see where you get the pockets from and what you cut of to make the tag. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Crying Laughin

kimb

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Wed 7 Mar 2012 - 9:22

Funny, that, Kim: I have the strangest feelings that some people don't like glitter.....

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 7 Mar 2012 - 10:17

kimb wrote:what about a strip of very narrow double sided tape and some shimmery stuff sprinkled on , it ends up very neat . shan't say the G*****R word as folks dont like it

That made me think of gilding flakes, but I suppose they would work out
on the expensive side.

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Wed 7 Mar 2012 - 12:11

And it's the time required too, Steph: it's got to be something quick to give me time to do the other project as well, and I'm not sure how quick any of them will be with these sorts of techniques.

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Wed 7 Mar 2012 - 13:36

Brain dead here. I edge ALL my images with either a black or a dark brown marker. Never thought about anything else.

What about running a Versamark pad around the edge and heat embossing with a colour.

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Bags to Bling on Etsy
My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography

Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16017
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.lrdesigns.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Wed 7 Mar 2012 - 15:10

There's lots of lovely ideas here, girls, but most of them require some knowledge of papercrafting, which I'm pretty sure few of them have. That's why I don't want to take ink pads - could see them coming back with nice slits all across them where they dragged them along the edge of the paper! (Have tried showing people how to tap the edge to get colour on it, but they immediately forget and drag the pad along the edge.) As for d/s tape: am going to give them one strip, to anchor the back flap of the card, and that's all, as I suspect a lot of them have never used that either.

Anyway, I did try out the idea of drawing round the template and cutting it out outside the blue line, and it does give a decent blue edge - not as nice as running a marker along the edge like Lorraine does, but that also takes a bit of practice to get right if you're not used to it. I'm afraid the Versamark and coloured EP is also a non-starter, Lorraine, as one Versamark pad and one heat gun (ie mine, in both cases) is going to take all evening with 20-25 people using them!

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrap Monkey on Wed 7 Mar 2012 - 15:18

lyndaejane wrote:There's lots of lovely ideas here, girls, but most of them require some knowledge of papercrafting, which I'm pretty sure few of them have. That's why I don't want to take ink pads - could see them coming back with nice slits all across them where they dragged them along the edge of the paper! (Have tried showing people how to tap the edge to get colour on it, but they immediately forget and drag the pad along the edge.)

yes, I have personal experience of that one. Evil or Very Mad . Someone who will remain nameless ripped my chalk inks to shreds at our first crop, to the point that I had to replace them. And there was only one of her!

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date  Laughing

Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 7328
Registration date : 2009-02-19

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/bearhousebeads

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Wed 7 Mar 2012 - 17:11

lyndaejane wrote:I'm afraid the Versamark and coloured EP is also a non-starter, Lorraine, as one Versamark pad and one heat gun (ie mine, in both cases) is going to take all evening with 20-25 people using them!

Lynda
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Duuuhhhh!!!!!!

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Bags to Bling on Etsy
My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography

Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16017
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.lrdesigns.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 7 Mar 2012 - 20:42

Scrap Monkey wrote:
lyndaejane wrote:There's lots of lovely ideas here, girls, but most of them require some knowledge of papercrafting, which I'm pretty sure few of them have. That's why I don't want to take ink pads - could see them coming back with nice slits all across them where they dragged them along the edge of the paper! (Have tried showing people how to tap the edge to get colour on it, but they immediately forget and drag the pad along the edge.)

yes, I have personal experience of that one. Evil or Very Mad . Someone who will remain nameless ripped my chalk inks to shreds at our first crop, to the point that I had to replace them. And there was only one of her!

i had this hapen to my ink pads when i first started my craft club as i let them use all my stuff til they got their own . very annoying . wonder who it was did yours ??

kimb

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 8:36

I'm sure we could never guess!

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scatty on Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 14:26

Not me............ Twisted Evil

Scatty
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist