How do you store.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you store.....

Post by lyndaejane on Sat 29 Jan 2011 - 18:25

Am trying to get my craft stuff stored in the most sensible way possible, and wondered if any of you had tips on how to store things in "furniture" (in the loosest possible sense). Have plenty of boxes and cases and bits and pieces to put smaller things in like embellishments, but some of the stuff just stumps me - particularly where you need them to be a certain way up, if you know what I mean. I'd also like to have similar things in the same place, where possible. I've been moving things from place to place and getting frustrated, so thought I would ask the experts!

Punches - have a cheap Ikea trolley, with drawers about 3" high, and have put them in there. But they take up 4 of the drawers. Some will stand on end, so don't take up so much space as lying flat, although if they're not leaning against something they fall over. Has anyone solved this problem?

Stamps - have one of those metal cabinets which take A4 paper, with drawers about 2" deep (bought it from a local shop that was closing down) and can keep my all-occasion stamps in there in a single layer with 2 drawers to spare (this fits under the worktop, so can't get a bigger one). But where to keep the Christmas stamps or the ones that are thicker than 2"? And how to tie that in with the unmounteds (in CD cases - recycled, of course) and the sheets of clear stamps (in A3 binders), so that I only have to go to one place?

Pots of stuff - embossing powders, Pearlex, glitter (sorry, Lorraine) that come in small containers - but of varying heights. So if you put them in a drawer, where you'd only want them to be in one layer so you could see what was what, the drawer would have to be as deep as the highest one, which is a waste of space. If you put the tall ones on their side, so you can get them in a shallower drawer, they roll around.

Tools and equipment - larger items, like die cutters and trimmers, just sit there. Things like scissors are easily accommodated in pots within easy reach. But what do you do with bulky things like a hammer, or a hand drill (used for making handmade cords) without them getting buried under other stuff?

If anyone has solved these vital problems, please let me know! I'm hoping for most stuff to be behind doors/in drawers, so it doesn't get dusty, so racks and open shelves - not that there's any wall-space left to put them on - aren't really an option. I have worktops down either side of the room (computer is on the shorter side), with kitchen wall-cupboards above them. Most of the easily-reachable space in the cupboards is already spoken for: I do have a step-stool to get to the top shelf, though. Under the worktop is boxes, trolleys and drawer sets, already full. Think I've answered my own question - give up some of my crafts!

All suggestions gratefully received. By the way, have already given up on finding proper storage for stamp pads, so am making my own (will put up piccie when it's finished).

Lynda

Young at heart (other parts slightly older)

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9594
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you store.....

Post by kt_dragonfly on Sat 29 Jan 2011 - 18:47

For my tools/used often bits and pieces (i.e. glue, glitter, etc), I have this on my wall:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/series/12386/

The rail with the spice rack and 3 of the pots.

For my 12x12 paper I have one of these:

http://storage4crafts.com/shopx/product.php?productid=458&cat=104&page=1

I have one of these for keeping my jars of flowers, etc in. Want to get one or two more as they're great!

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9796650&fh_reftheme=promo_215165852,seeall,//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372014}/categories%3C{9372040}/categories%3C{9372153}/specificationsProductType%3dshelves&fh_view_size=12&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372014}/categories%3C{9372040}/categories%3C{9372153}/specificationsProductType%3dshelves/specificationsSpecificProductType%3ddecorative_shelving&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&isSearch=false

Other than that I just have loads of random boxes/tins/drawers that I've bought over the years!!!

Dragon Dragon

My Blog ~ http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com

kt_dragonfly
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 5655

http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 29 Jan 2011 - 19:04

In my dining room cupboards I have sets of draws in each cupboard and keep
things like the Cuttlebug etc on top of those draws. It's difficult because I
have the storage unit upstairs but can't be going upstairs every few minutes.
I have sort of taken over all the cupboard space, just like I did before but it
doesn't bother Den as he doesn't need any space. Most of my stuff is in boxes
or draws. I have one cupboard just for 12 x 12 papers. If I was on my own
I would make this room into my studio.
But even now, I modify things. Anything I don't use so often goes upstairs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Sat 29 Jan 2011 - 22:26

Hmmmm, well. I actually store all my stuff EXACTLY as you are doing now. Peeing Laughing and there's extra boxes and drawer units around too.

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Bags to Bling on Etsy
My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography

Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16016
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.lrdesigns.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 30 Jan 2011 - 9:24

Does anyone use one of those large RUB boxes with the 12 x 12 paper and cardstock all standing upright, as they do when shops bring their stuff to crops? I just wondered if that would be a good idea for me to use, storing all those not quite 12 x 12 bits of paper and card. There's a limit to how many expandable storage bag thingies you can have under your long worktop!!

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Sun 30 Jan 2011 - 16:38

Thanks for all your ideas, girls. Didn't manage to see your shelf, Kate, as the B & Q page just kept showing "one moment please" where the picture should be, but I guess it's similar to the red one shown at the bottom of the page.

Because I have the kitchen wall cabinets, I looked around for boxes that would fit and found the Ikea DVD boxes (bit like shoe-boxes, but short enough to go in the cabinets and higher than shoe-boxes, so they make up for internal space that way). I keep card blanks, envelopes, ribbons/fibres, flowers, wire, foil/gilding and goodness knows what else in there.

Patty - I don't have one of the RUBs for my paper, but have two other things I use. There's the trollies which hold hanging files (I have a mix of ordinary-size hanging files and 12 x 12 ones for scrapbook papers) and I also have a couple of the cardboard boxes which hold hanging files up to 12 x 12 - both from Storage4Crafts. Not sure if the cardboard ones are cheaper than the RUBs, but they do alright for me as I keep stuff in there that I'm not going to all the time. The 12 x 12 hanging files are quite expensive, so it's a good idea to use some of the ordinary ones for the smaller bits of paper. The trolley would be best, as you can roll it under your worktop when not in use with not much effort - although I think Storage4Crafts do a wheeled base to go under one type of their storage boxes. I say "not too much effort" not because I am a weakling, but crawling around under the worktop trying to drag a box out is a bit of a pain!

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by kt_dragonfly on Sun 30 Jan 2011 - 16:46

No its not lynda, it looks a bit like a skinny wooden tray as it has a lip going all the way round. Good as things can't go rolling or falling off! Mr Green

Dragon Dragon

My Blog ~ http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com

kt_dragonfly
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 5655

http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Sun 30 Jan 2011 - 18:03

Ah, right: I see what you mean, Kate. I could do with a lap like that - have lost track of all the stuff that's fallen on my lap then rolled onto the floor. It's because I'm so short: always have to reach for my feet to touch the floor when I'm sitting down, so my lap isn't at 90 degrees to the rest of my body but sloped downwards. I call it the four-brad syndrome: get out 4 brads to fix something down; pour brads back into container; put container away; pick up brads one by one to fix to project; drop one brad onto lap from where it disappears behind everything stored on the floor. Get out one brad; etc etc.

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 5 Feb 2011 - 21:17

Is this any help?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Sun 6 Feb 2011 - 0:22

Crying Laughin

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Bags to Bling on Etsy
My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography

Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16016
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.lrdesigns.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 6 Feb 2011 - 13:32

Lol Celfy x x x

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Sun 6 Feb 2011 - 16:01

Celfyddydau wrote:Is this any help?

That's what I'm trying to avoid, lol!

Lynda

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran on Sun 6 Feb 2011 - 21:03

I won't show you mine then lol!

supergran
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6673
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 6 Feb 2011 - 21:44

Organised chaos ??? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Tue 8 Feb 2011 - 21:30

I have lots of hte plastic drawer trolleys. One has card and special bits. One for stamps, one for paper off cuts, one for stamps, one for embellies and alpha stuff, one for gems/ribbons and buttons. Two for jewellry stuff. One for christmas. Lots of boxes, shelves and plastic a4 boxes for special card etc.

Am determined to start using more of it, its starting to annoy me i have so much and don't use it. Am just going to choose some paper and go from there, want to use some ofthe card and more of the stamps.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

K is a Loser !! My Weight Loss Diary

Facebook Bead Page: Karin's Bead Kandy

karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4571

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 8 Feb 2011 - 23:42

karinlouise wrote:I Am determined to start using more of it, its starting to annoy me i have so much and don't use it. Am just going to choose some paper and go from there, want to use some ofthe card and more of the stamps.
That's what I am doing Karen. I am buying very little new stuff and
am trying to use what I have. It's nice not to be buying stuff and very
satisfying when I use something from the stash. I've been making
postcards for comp entries out of things I wouldn't use on cards.
How did I get a lot of this stuff ? I can't believe that I bought it.

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 10:42

gosh karin it sounds as if you have loads of the drawers ,exactly how many do you have ..is the loft full of them . lol!

shall we all put up a pic of our craft space so we can see the organisation ..or lack of it ..i dont think i dare show mine as its such a pig heap at the minute ,and i tidied it up as bit last night ,got rid of xmas now ive done with the lapland album and the wedding invite stuff is all out of the way as they have gone .

kimb

Number of posts : 13216

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 11:02

just took some pics i will do them later as long as pb is playing game

kimb

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrap Monkey on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 12:43

I will take pics when my loft is tidy for the crop!

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date  Laughing

Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 7328
Registration date : 2009-02-19

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/bearhousebeads

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 13:27

tina thats cheating ...we want REAL photos , not set up ones ! mess and all Crying Laughin

kimb

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrap Monkey on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 13:32

kimb wrote:tina thats cheating ...we want REAL photos , not set up ones ! mess and all

not a chance

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date  Laughing

Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 7328
Registration date : 2009-02-19

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/bearhousebeads

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 13:35

yellow belly!!!!

kimb

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 13:39

well here is my craft room (glory hole) warts n all .

Last edited by kimb on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 16:19; edited 1 time in total

kimb

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 13:41

it looks a right mess but i know where most things are ,everything has aplace its juts that whatever it is im looking for is not in its right place

kimb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 13:46

OMG Kim that looks amazing I am so jealous, I will have to take a photo of my TINY cubby hole LOL, you have soooo much stuff and space

I especially love the monkeys!

When we move I have told my hubby I dont care how big the kitchen, garden or bedrooms are I NEED a nice room / loft for my crafting LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 0:14

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum