Cuttle or no???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cuttle or no???

Post by Guest on Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 17:08

I have never owned nor thought I desperately wanted to own a die cutting machine. However, pootling through ebay looking for something completely different, I found some cuttlebug dies that I thought were completely different from die cuts that I have previously seen. Maybe all of the different die cutting machines have the same sort of dies now, I don't know.

So, my question being, as I have now thought of asking for one from hubby for Xmas, what do you all think of the Cuttlebug against other machines? Will I use one enough? Where should I look for one (apart from ebay that is)? And would a second hand one do, or do they break?

Back to top Go down

Re: Cuttle or no???

Post by Lorraine on Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 17:18

Well, I've got one, Jan.
I bought mine on a whim 'cause I fancied one, even though I don't make that many cards.

It is a good machine and is very good at what it does. I should think you'd be hard pushed to break one, so a second hand one should be fine.

There are lots of really dedicated users for this, including our Claire.
My opinion is, yes...a good thing to own. Mr Green

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Bags to Bling on Etsy
My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography

Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16017
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.lrdesigns.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 17:59

i love my CB , i dont use it an awful lot , but i am chuffed with what i do use it for , it can make the plainest card look really good . we also have one at craft club and all the ladies there love it , its never out of use

kimb

Number of posts : 13216
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 18:18

I love mine, they've been well thought out and can use other dies, once you've got your dies there are no more expenses. I get my alphabets dies from (dare I say it USA) on ebay, and the embossing plates are just as cheap over here.
You can cut felt with it if you put it through a few times, fabric works well but I find it's better to put D/S tape or similar on the back first, so you don't have to worry about sticking it down.

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.

thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 10506

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters on Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 18:39

I have one too, have not used any other machines so cannot compare. They are neat and don't take up much room and you can use other makes of dies in there. The only things I have heard of breaking are the plates that you put your dies or embossing folders in to go through, they do bend even though thick plastic and you think that something has been done wrong, but as long as you turn them they are ok. They also mark with the outline of the cuts, which scared the life out of me first time I used it lol.
I bought mine from Cuttingedge crafts, and buy some dies from US - especially alphabet set, much cheaper even with pp.

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.

Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 12410

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 19:10

I don't have a cuttlebug, because I ahve a Big Shot - but I'd not hesitate to recommend it - if I didn't have a die cutter, it's the Cuttlebug that I'd buy!

You can use virtually all other dies in it, and their embossing folders are my favourite craft product/tool of the moment - I use an embossed piece of card on virtually every card I make these days.

Cutting edge crafts is also the best place to get them from normally - unless anybody has special offers on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 14:10

That's it then, deffo going to "ask" for one for Chrissy, mine you, sometimes Dave thinks that I don't really mean it, so hinting will not do, nor sublety!! Will have to sit in front of him and say "I WANT ONE" then I will have to steer him in the right direction, with plenty of time to spare. A favourite trick of his that is, leaving things too late and shops being bare.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 14:13

Forgot to say that I do like the embossing things it does.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 21:14

i have a sizzex and its heavy, takes up to much room and doesn't do the big dies. i have cutterbug dies and embossing folders and l love them, they have so much detail. so once ive broke my sizzex then i'd seriously think of getting the cutterbug

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 21:18

cuttlebug is great if you want to cut alphabets (the alphabets are cheaper) or if you like doing the embossing.

I love mine, but Patty is surgically attached to hers. I think you get more out of them the more dies you have. also Patty goes to lots of clubs and crops where they all borrow each others.

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)

Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 8776
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerjo on Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 23:52

I don't have a Cuttle bug, but I love their dies also.

gingerjo
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 3338
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 11 Sep 2008 - 0:33

I only have the Sizzix, but it seems to be getting a bit out of date now.

Back to top Go down

Post by WeirdCat on Mon 15 Sep 2008 - 16:59

I have one, I don't use it as much as I should but I like the way it works, much easier than the sizzix in that it is lighter and more portable

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

WeirdCat

Number of posts : 9971

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 4 Nov 2008 - 1:22

I'm sure you won't regert getting one I use mine loads. I would say the dies I've used most have been the embossing folders and I love the flower combo.

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Tue 4 Nov 2008 - 10:32

I too have the big shot but have used the CB at my card class, its really easy to use and quite light weight compared to the BS. Packs away in a nice neat space !!! I use all sorts on my maching, dies from every different make, with adapters some of them. THe embossing folders are great. Makes a card very quickly and simply whilst looking nice.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

K is a Loser !! My Weight Loss Diary

Facebook Bead Page: Karin's Bead Kandy

karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4571

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 4 Nov 2008 - 12:21

Yes, once again I would say I cannot think of life in the craft room without a CB. I use it so much and it does make such lovely backgrounds with the embossing folders which are really quite cheap to buy too.

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Tue 4 Nov 2008 - 18:48

Not sure how well this will show up, but I had one of theose 'I wonder' moments last night. There I was cutting up a plastic meat tray to put in the recycling bin, and thought it might be ok bugged. It wasn't quite big enough for the whole design, but I think it's served it's experimental purpose. I like the debossed side just as much, now I'm wondering what might trickle nicely into all the little hollows! Oh dear, is there any hope?
[url=http://lousloonies.forumandco.com/][/url]

Get one, it's great fun to play with, and not as expensive as the other kinds.

thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Tue 4 Nov 2008 - 19:02

what a great idea...just to be clear, what part of the meat tray is this? the sort of polystyrene bit or the plastic lid or what?

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)

Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 8776
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 4 Nov 2008 - 19:53

No Mia, it's a UK tray - the meat sits on this bit on a bit of yucky spongey stuff which you throw away. I have found the "acetate" lids work well on the CB too!!! This folder is Bird Call - I love it!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 4 Nov 2008 - 20:06

It's come up lovely, it would be interesting to know what you can do with those trays.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 4 Nov 2008 - 21:03

i ended up buying the embossing folders for the cuttlebug, once i knew i could use them on my sizzix machine..like you Steph, i think there are not man y dies being made for them these days..but i still love mine and it the sizzix i am going to use to earn myself 20 per hour doing an after school club...starting on Monday. The club lasts from either 3.15 or 3.30 til 4.30 or 4.45. it will go on until the end of term...yippee more cuttlebug dies with the cash...thats what i am planning...

I might well use your idea with acetate and polystyrene trays.

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Tue 4 Nov 2008 - 21:18

Oh good for you suzy, well done. I've only got smaller dies from my machine, the only large one was the christmas tree. I did get some of the smaller thin embossing borders, though not yet used. I'm determined to start my Christmas Cards this week, but I've some boys cards to finish first.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

K is a Loser !! My Weight Loss Diary

Facebook Bead Page: Karin's Bead Kandy

karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4571

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Tue 4 Nov 2008 - 22:03

Haven't tried it with polystyrene, just the plastic, I did do a plastic clothing tag with the swirly tree and birds on, sorry can't remeber the name, but it came out very nicely.

thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Wed 5 Nov 2008 - 17:35

No, there isn't any hope, Karelyn - once a recyler, always a recycler! Prettiest meat container I ever saw, though.

Lynda

Young at heart (other parts slightly older)

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9596

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:07

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: