Dilemma. How do I........

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dilemma. How do I........

Post by Guest on Tue 31 Mar 2009 - 18:28

talk to hubby about becoming a Stampin Up demonstrator? any help is appreciated. i talked to him at one time about selling avon because i couldn't find a rep but now i have one and the start up cost there is on 25 compared to 139 for stampin up.

HELP!!!!!! i really, really want to do this as we don't have any craft shops here anymore. the only one we had is closing down.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilemma. How do I........

Post by Guest on Tue 31 Mar 2009 - 19:42

Do a business plan and present it to him so that he can see projected sales etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters on Tue 31 Mar 2009 - 19:49

Difficult to say really when don't know your hubby!
Presume he has no problems with you working, and it would seem to be a good thing for you to do as you know about the products - if you think there would be enough interest locally to make it pay, after considering your travelling costs etc of course.
Is he happy for you to be off out in the evenings as I would think that's when most of the parties would be held?
Just a case of explaining the type of thing you would be selling (show him any paperwork you have about it)and ask him what he thinks. Let him think he is helping you decide!

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.

Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 12406
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrap Monkey on Tue 31 Mar 2009 - 20:22

Hello stranger! Good to see you.

I agree with the others, get him involved in a discussion about how it would work. Perhaps find out about crops in your area that you could sell to?

Now, I'm curious; you used to be Cajun girl in Wales, and I see it's now county specific; whereabouts in Pembs are you?

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date Laughing

Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 7328
Registration date : 2009-02-19

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/bearhousebeads

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Tue 31 Mar 2009 - 20:43

Getting him to think its idea is a good one. Show him leaflet, talk about people you know, even extol the virtues of the products. Then casually say something like..........I bet its easy to do this, I reckon I could do it. See what he says then. I know it sounds devious, but I honestly think it saves arguements and at same time he'll recognise that its your passion.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

K is a Loser !! My Weight Loss Diary

Facebook Bead Page: Karin's Bead Kandy

karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4571

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran on Wed 1 Apr 2009 - 10:51

Where are you going to demonstrate, at house parties or in a shop or shopping precinct or are you going to go round office buildings etc, decide on this first before you speak to him then you will have some thing concrete to put to him.

supergran
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6673
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Wed 1 Apr 2009 - 16:52

Speak to the local area rep and tell him that she has spoken to you on the phone about it as they want experienced crafters, sneaky but not a lie, then do as above. He might be more keen if he feels you've been head hunted, then eat or burn this post just in case LOL

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.

thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 10506

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 3 Apr 2009 - 17:00

i've spoken to dh (well it was sort of forced as a rep contacted me last night when i wasn't home) and he's read the details from the website and he has a lot of questions and not sure if he likes what he's reading. he is also afraid it will take time away from his business as i answer his phone and he depends on me. i assured him it won't because his business is priority. his pays the bills after all.

i spoke to the rep today and she is going to try to get down here (she lives in dunstable sp). i think if andrew can talk to her and ask her directly it will help. i will have a workshop while she's here so that i can see what goes on.

i told him that i think i could do well because we don't have a craft shop of any sort in this area.

how many of you buy or have bought stampin up products? do you like them? he wants me to find some other reps that may be on forums so see from their point of view how well they do. i think that will be hard to find.

thanks for your help.

scrap moneky i live in pembroke dock. the ends of the earth ask goaty. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrap Monkey on Fri 3 Apr 2009 - 17:31

Hmm, not so very 'ends' as a 'small world' methinks Laughing

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date Laughing

Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 7328
Registration date : 2009-02-19

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/bearhousebeads

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Fri 3 Apr 2009 - 17:54

Do hope this works out for you, Jane - it's always easier to work in a business where you love the product.

I have bought one or two Stampin Up items: a card kit (from the USA) and a stamp or two, second hand from eBay. But this is because I don't know anyone over here who is a rep, so don't know where else to get things. Have seen quite a few of their stamps in US magazines which I like; also was quite impressed with the quality of the card and paper in the kit. I'm not sure what else they do, but if there's a full range of stuff on offer it will be easier for you, if you're to be the local craft shop, as it were.

One thing I might be wary of: will there be any restriction on you selling other manufacturers' craft goods? I'm thinking here both items that Stampin Up don't make or things that they do make. This would be particularly pertinent if you do become the local craft shop - you will get requests for all sorts of things. It could be quite difficult (and mean a loss of sales) if, say, they stopped you selling buttons even though they don't carry buttons in their range, or stopped you selling an alternative to their product if it turned out it wasn't as good as other manufacturers'.

Quite a heavy start-up cost: what's included in that? If the worst comes to the worst, does it include tools and materials that remain yours and you could keep or sell? If it does, that's a point in its favour when DH is considering the idea. Also, assume DH's business is a daytime thing: your demos would mostly be evenings, I guess, so that wouldn't interfere? Another plus point.

And would you be allowed to do a cyber-demo? I'm thinking that some of us on here might like to get hold of Stampin Up stamps but it's obviously too far for a personal demo. That could be an additional revenue stream.

If I think of anything else I'll post again.

Good luck!

Lynda

Young at heart (other parts slightly older)

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9594

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Fri 3 Apr 2009 - 18:21

Patty has some stampin up card and stamps she bought from a friend of hers who started up as a stampin up demo person and I must say she said the stuf was quite expensive, but worth it because the card was super super quality - I used some myself and i must admit it was a cut above.

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)

Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 8776
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Fri 3 Apr 2009 - 19:07

ive never bought any myself but there was a lot of talk about the company at one time on uks , might be an idea to check over there , i seem to remember the name monica being one used .im sure she has a website or blog , you may find it over there .all i will say is that the talk i have heard or read about them is that they are expensive , things come in sets all the time and you see a stamp you like and you have to buy the full set to get that one stamp.
dont think i will be a customer .

kimb

Number of posts : 13216

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Fri 3 Apr 2009 - 22:22

I had a look at a brochure at a crop last week and did like several of the stamps but must admit I didn't put my hand in my pocket due to the cost, however this is usually done party plan isn't it. which always works well, a glass of wine and a demo work wonders. I would have probably spent 15 to 20 at a friends party if she had one. Not sure how well it would work with repeat business, although if there are no other craft outlets then could be v good.

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.

thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 10506

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 4 Apr 2009 - 10:06

Go for it Jane, we have already discussed this a little bit over the phone..

Her hubby's business is very very demanding..but i have to say that he is also prominent in the 'local area' dont want to say more in case Jane wants to tell you and bragg on his behald..i reckon he has 2 major areas of interest and rugby..so this business links to one of your 2 areas area..'crafting' and 'goaty' so go for it.

Anyway, from a selfish point of view i want to see craft stash when i come to pembs to my home town..with the craft shops closed..i think its a great idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 22:16

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum