Sweet Peas advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sweet Peas advice

Post by Guest on Wed 18 Mar 2009 - 20:33

I am hoping to plant out my sweet pea plants tomorrow..now i want to put them in a border..i plan to dig a big trench and put in loads of fish bone stuff (fertiliser) and then fill in the trench...and then a bit more fish meal before i plant the plants..and i bought a dibber...but.....how deep should i plant the plants?????? i think they are about 3-4 inches high...should i protect them with an empty plastic bottle over the top...and then what...i have a green wooden triangular trellis..does the narrowest bit go in the ground..therefore fanning upwards..or the other way...OR...shall i use a three ring green cane (plastic) thingy (graduated from bottom to top)

help... Very Happy mother in law will say..ah just shove them in ..but i really don't want to lose these ones like i always do...hers just grow like weeds and she often pulls them out as she needs to stand close to the hedge to trim the hedge.. affraid

Back to top Go down

Re: Sweet Peas advice

Post by Guest on Wed 18 Mar 2009 - 20:44

Got loads of free manure if you want it, you just need to collect it! Mr Green

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Wed 18 Mar 2009 - 21:05

My grandad always had them on an open trellis at the backof hte garage. My everlasting memory of him. I love SPs but have never been able to grow them myself. If i were to do it, I think I would personally have it fan out, but I could be wrong. Peas and beans have a teepee type frame don't they.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

K is a Loser !! My Weight Loss Diary

Facebook Bead Page: Karin's Bead Kandy

karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4571
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 18 Mar 2009 - 21:08

be careful how much fish bone and blood you put in there , its not a case of more is better , you have to get it right ! i think bonemeal can be a bit acidy and might burn the delicate plants .
my dad always grew them on 5+ canes tied together at the top

kimb

Number of posts : 13216

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Wed 18 Mar 2009 - 21:49

aww patty is the sweet pea queen... she will know, but i dont think they need either feed or shelter from frost.

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)

Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 8776
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 18 Mar 2009 - 21:53

i have got rose food...would that be better? less harsh?

bring it over Celfy and some eggs if Thor the horse will oblige... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Wed 18 Mar 2009 - 21:57

no, I dont think they need food at all... think that might make them leggy - I will ask patty to look at this tomorrow Goaty, or I will ask her myself and let you know.

Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 18 Mar 2009 - 22:03

Its just i am sure someonetold meto dig a deep trench, well manure...infill and plant....we have a clay soil so it might be more the depth of the compost..thats important..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 8:09

NO NO NO Goaty. No feed whatsoever, just a deep hole for each (about 4 inches at least) and some water in the holes before planting. I grow mine outside all winter long, sown in pots in October, but I have now planted them in the garden. Nip out the tops of every plant, to make them bushy and stop them getting leggy and thus you will get twice as many flowers. My old Dad grew them up canes on the allotment and then up canes in his garden but they were purely for cutting and didn't look too nice with rows of sticks. Up a trellis or obelisk is the best way. Don't give sweet peas feed now though because they already have good root systems and fish and bone has to be accurately measured or you will kill off the lot! Good luck - will wait to see pics in the summer. And by the way, I expect you already know that when they bloom you must pick the flowers all the time or they will run to seed.

(Lecture over!!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 8:23

Great, now i can plant them today....i must have misunderstood along the way about the feeding...in view of possibility of frost this weekend, should i cloche them with plastic bottles with top off?

My soil is very rubbish so i will be using those grow bags compost thingies...in a border (out of pkt of course)..

No problem picking the flowers as i love the smell, and look of sweetpeas.

I think i have said before that my father in law (deceased) used to have a long hedge down the side of his garden where the sweetpeas came up all by themselves eavery year...and even though he died the year Stephen finished junior school (stephen is in 6th form now) the sweetpeas still come up....i even went in the garden yesterday and despite mother in law's attempts to clear them to get to the hedge to give it a massive haircut.....they are there again ...about same height as the ones i bought in the pot...to plant in my garden.

Pinch out the tops...before planting or after?...and keep doing it...or just the once?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 8:41

Pinch out before planting, no need to protect them (unless of course they have come straight out of a greenhouse, in which case wait a few days).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 8:45

they were outside...but under cover. now in my kitchen... Very Happy

I did mean to pop them outside but got sidetracked....for a change Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 9:02

at least i was right about the fish and bone thing being accurate measurements .......i got a bit right oooooh i feel a bit like percy thrower , do you remember him , i used to love watching him he made me laugh . lol!

patty we would be lost without your fountain of love and knowledge of the gardens
this has made me go and want to buy some sweet pea plants to try again , i might have some luck this time

kimb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 10:05

so another question- - - what do i do with the box of bone.fish stuff now.... Very Happy ....no it won't fit there Tongue Out

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 10:49

Crying Laughin Crying Laughin Crying Laughin

you can use it a normal fertiliser , and i always put a small handfull at the bottom of hanging baskets and tubs , but i mean a small handfull , and mix it in well with the compost.
i also sprinkle it all over the beds and water it in or dig it in , flower beds not the ones in the bedrooms ( before you say it ) i have been known to put it in the watering can and pour it on the garden and tubs and pots , but it tends to clog up the spout a bit so take it off , it does not dissolve too well but its better than no food if i have ran out of miracle gro or my richard jackson food .

kimb

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 11:25

If it has'nt been opened take it back to the shop and explain it was bought in error, they might refund you but should definatly give you a credit for it.

supergran
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6673
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by cb on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 12:04

I love sweet peas but never seem to be able to grow them well, as for my sister hers always do marvellous will have to find out what she uses.

cb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4215

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 13:05

I think there's a bit of a myth about fabulous sweet peas Cath. Best results of all come (as my old Dad taught me) from sowing them in pots in October, leaving them outside all winter, somewhere sheltered from high winds, and then planting them late Feb or early March. That way they are tough, well developed and bushy little things and get away to producing great blooms for a long, long period. Must take some pics of mine this summer to show you all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 14:06

Patty... please go and answere my banana question in incidental if you come here first.

Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 19:04

sp01goat wrote:i have got rose food...would that be better? less harsh?

bring it over Celfy and some eggs if Thor the horse will oblige... Very Happy

Had 15 horse eggs the other day but they got turned into omeletes

Back to top Go down

Post by Scatty on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 21:00

I think the ones that come every year are the Everlasting Sweetpea, they have just as lovely a scent as the annual type.

Scatty
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 5872

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Mar 2009 - 10:50

i have planted mine now..photo to follow....and i will take some of the flowers if they grow...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:47

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum