A Major Task....

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Major Task....

Post by Lorraine on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 16:42

I'm almost embarrassed to post these pics...(DON'T LOOK, PATTY), but I'm going to anyway. This is the monstrous state of my back garden and I've set myself the task of having this sorted within the next month. I have a skip out front ready and waiting for all this lot plus junk from the shed. I shall be tackling this single handedly and if that doesn't help my weight loss, nothing will. Laughing Most years it's fairly tidy, but I never touched it last year so it's really quite a mess.

So........stay tuned for Kew Gardens no. 2. Mr Green

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Bags to Bling on Etsy
My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography

Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16017
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.lrdesigns.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: A Major Task....

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 16:54

Oh Lorraine, how I would simply LOVE to tackle that with you! Just what I need. If things were different, I would pack my rucksack and garden tools and hot foot it up there to Coningsby for a few days. It won't be too bad once you get going, and if you need any advice (which I don't suppose you do!) then just yell. I am more than happy to be a "long distance" gardener. Just be sure to cut everything back very, very hard. That will make a good start anyway and you will see where you are going.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 17:19

Well Lou, you have enough to keep you going for a week or two. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Scatty on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 17:32

Oh, that will keep you busy. Now I can help with cleaning the paths of all that green moss stuff. You need to get... "Thompsons path and patio cleaner". In B&Q its in the same area as the White Spirit, on the bottom shelf in a green container, 5 or 6 if I remember right. Will last you ages and takes vey little elbow grease.

Scatty
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 5872
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrap Monkey on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 17:51

I'm a bit concerned about that walking frame in the last couple of pics; does it mean that Betty is under the pile of boxes? affraid

Good luck, steady with it though; don't overdo it and you'll have it looking better in no time!

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date Laughing

Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 7328
Registration date : 2009-02-19

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/bearhousebeads

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 17:53

I see what you mean about the walking frame......a bit worrying that!

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 17:53

Can't say I envy you, Lou, but it's amazing how different it will look when you've just chucked the rubbish in the skip, even before you start cutting back the garden. And it's just the right time for that, before everything starts coming into bud, so you should get a nice show this summer.

Lynda

Young at heart (other parts slightly older)

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9596

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 18:04

Your a better man than I am Gungah Din, I think I would just shut the back door and pretend it wasn't mine, good luck with it but do it steadily.

supergran
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6674
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 18:25

At least it is relatively small area, once you have all the junk out and chopped those big shrubs you will be half way there! Would get a power washer on that green concrete if I was you.

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.

Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 12410

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 18:37

do we get ourselves ready for another skip man story !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kimb

Number of posts : 13216

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 18:50

I cannot beleive this and am shocked!!!!How can someone who makes such beautiful things as you and is as creative as you stand this outside your door?

awww i would love to come and sort this out for you.

It looks like more chucking is needed than pruning. I mean this looks like a clearance job rather than garden job and doenst this depress you????? where are your flower beds? have you got any flwoers at all even? Oh dear, you need help.....like Patty I should love to come and do it.

My advice is
1. get all that junk into the skip so you can see what you have
2. get a job-lot of weedkiller like pathclear or roundup that will work on the concrete areas and spray it to treat all the grass and weeds growing through the concrete. OR pull up the big bits and borrow/hire a pressure washer to get all the green algae off the concrete etc and the small bits out.
3. if there is anything in the garden see to it (ie prune it or weed it etc - post pics and Patty and me will tell you what it needs specifically)
4. make yourself either some flower beds or get some large tubs
5. buy yourself a nice bench type seat
6. plant the tubs or beds up

(now for the good bit)
7. enjoy your morning coffee, fags or anythign else out in the tranquility of your own little bloomign oasis. Oh Lorraine it could be so nice...... and it would be such a tonic for you.

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)

Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 8776
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 19:30

I was thinking the same as Patti I'd love to give a hand, wish I had a garden, it's going to be lovely hun, you've had so much on lately and things like this build up don't they.
I can't wait to see the progress, it'll be lovely for you to sit out again soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerjo on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 19:39

You go girl, Mia will love it when it is done.

gingerjo
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 3338
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 21:36

crumbs..what a job...why not get that super Jonny to give you a hand when he gets back...he owes you for all you do for them..your daughter could help too.

failing that..search the shop windows for a gardener..don't go mad trying to do it all and get all poorly. x x

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 22:56

Scrap Monkey wrote:I'm a bit concerned about that walking frame in the last couple of pics; does it mean that Betty is under the pile of boxes? affraid
I wish. Laughing Hard

Billie, you made me laugh out loud, ha, ha.

Kim, different skip man this time and a proper miserable sod he was too, lol.

Now, the good news is that I do actually know what I'm doing. It used to be lovely out there and i've gardened for years. I think I just lost the will what with mother and all and of course, having Mia so much.

There are flower beds there, Maria and there are perenials in, jasmine, clematis, lilies, roses all down the fence etc, etc. (assuming they've survived, of course). The lavatera (big bare bush near shed) will have the electric saw taken to it as the the stem/trunk is about 6 inches thick now. The choisya will be cut right back as will the buddleia, and that will clear the path down the small brick wall to the shed.

The brick thing in the middle of the concrete will have a sledge hammer taken to it as I want shot of that to make more space for Mia to play.

The huge bare bush behind the pink chair is my Russian Vine. OMG!!! what a mistake buying that, even though I did get some super pics of the blossoms. That will also be sawed down and should then release all the dahlias that are hidden along there somewhere.

The pressure washer will clear the green slime and moss and a bit of weedkiller in any gaps.

I shall also be buying a few new plants and doing some pots. Mr Green

Does that sound OK so far???? Mr Green

Last edited by Lorraine on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 23:06; edited 1 time in total

Bags to Bling on Etsy
My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography

Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 23:02

It sounds perfect Lorraine, is this for next year or the year after, I seem to remember that you were going to do this last year, you had a skip and all, or wasit the year before cause we all said to get Nic's planker to help you lol! but then again my memory is not so good I keep forgetting things lol! lol! lol!

supergran
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6674
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Fri 13 Mar 2009 - 23:09

The last skip was 2 (maybe 3) years ago, Billie. Mr Green So this is at least 2 years neglect. It will be looking fine for this year (I hope Wink).

Bags to Bling on Etsy
My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography

Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 8:28

Yes!!! that sounds excellent, and it will be sooo nice for you.

Im glad you do gardening. I thought maybe you didnt. It will be perfect if you do what you say, and I am looking forward to the pics. It will be a nice project too.

Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 9:44

Ah Russian Vine. We planted one in our last house and were just beginning to regret it when we moved, so it became someone elses problem, ha ha. I remember Alan Titchmarsh saying that it was good for covering old sheds or buildings, in fact it would even cover cathedrals.

Just do a bit at a time, you don't want to go hurting yourself

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 10:14

i bought a russian vine to cover up a brick garage my neighbour had built in the back garden , he took down our fence to get right on the border of his own garden so all we could see was new brick , my plan was to get a russian vine to cover it all quickly , i dont know what went wrong but now all the natural hedgerow of hawthorn trees are covered in russian vine , the birds love it cos its thick and lush for building nests in now , but i can still see the brick , its slowly being covered by climbing roses though and ivy .

you have got some nice shrubs hidden under that pile lorraine , i remember commenting on the buddleia . i think the pile of rubbish and all the green algae makes it look worse than it is to be honest . you go girl !! a lovely task to get you through spring

kimb

Number of posts : 13216

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 11:43

Wow, sounds like a plan there then. Just don't do too much and hurt yourself. Watch that back. Little and often is the best way to do it.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

K is a Loser !! My Weight Loss Diary

Facebook Bead Page: Karin's Bead Kandy

karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4571

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 12:02

I see a few scrapbook before and after piccies!

At least having to have a really good clear out , you can make it Mia friendly lol.

Russian vine should be banned along with grape hyacinths!!!

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.

Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 12410

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 14:03

If you didn't knock down the brick thingie, you could make it Mia's little garden

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 15:00

Lorraine, I have been out there in my little haven this morning and very therapeutic it is too. I now have the Baby Monitor, so I can take my half down the garden with me and hear Ken when he needs something, which is ace. I really loved it out there today - bright and sunny and you soon get loads and loads done in an hour. I am sure it will be back to a lovely little plot very, very soon. You will be amazed at how quickly it will all love being cut back and cleared. Go for it gel!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 17:18

Well, I thought I'd make this a bit of a project and give you all progress reports. Smile I'm sure some of you would like to see it being done. Jan, I really like that idea of a little garden for Mia. I shall consider that, or maybe make her one in a corner somewhere.

So....here's today's brutality. Mr Green:

I'm hoping that now the choisya has been cut hard back, the Fatsia will get some light and grow to the left. There was also two very large Pyrocantha's behind it so they've been cut right back too. It broke my heart to cut the choisya as hard as I have, but hopefully, all will be well. The buddliea is practically down to the ground now. The lavatera has been sawed to pieces and completely removed. All the roses have been pruned hard too, I'm amazed any have survived, but they all have shoots on them.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is my Clematis. I've taken that right back to about 1foot high, but there are shoots coming from the base, so fingers crossed for that. Mr Green

I've also practically filled the skip. Mr Green

Bags to Bling on Etsy
My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography

Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 17:22

Very, very well done my old lovely. It will give you a new lease of life, sitting out there watching little Mia growing a sunflower or two whilst you have a fag and a coffee! The choysia will be fine, never fear, and you can always buy a new lavatera to get going with. Hope you have turfed out the Russian Vine too ... did you know that the RHS call that "gardeners' worst ever error" so you are not alone. It is all going to be lovely and when you come to the seaside, I shall save you some little seedlings!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 17:26

No more Lavateras, Patty, lol. They're pretty but too unruly. I shall find another nice shrub to fill that gap. Mr Green

I have some David Austin roses out there too, so I'm praying they'll be fine. They had about 3 feet lopped off them today and I also pruned the roses out the front of the house too.

Bags to Bling on Etsy
My Blog
My Tutorials
My Photography

Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 17:31

wow, way to go. it looks 100% better already. GOOD GIRL!!! it will be lovely but you are right to be ruthless. I cut the lavatera back to a foot of the ground each year and that keeps it under control. all your prunings will be fine - roses and choisya both like har pruning and I bet youve burned heaps of calories and youve got something great to show for it too.

the fatsia looks remarkably healthy as does the phormium...

Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 18:14

I told you how much better it would look after you'd cleared the rubbish, Lou - and you've done so much more than that. Hope you haven't overdone it.

Your clematis should be OK: I think it's February they recommend cutting back, so you're only a couple of weeks late. If there's growth at ground level it shouldn't be a problem.

The roses will withstand virtually anything. You've heard me moan about next door, with all their bindweed and ivy: they have a rose near the house which spends most of its summer being strangled by bindweed but still manages to bloom beautifully!

I should treat yourself to a nice warm bath after all that lot!

Lynda

Young at heart (other parts slightly older)

lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9596

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Mar 2009 - 19:04

Lou, have you got something different planned for tomorrow bacause I have a feeling you are going to be too sore to do any more gardening, unless you take a shedload of painkillers.

I have to admit though, what a difference a day makes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:05

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum